Shop PCMemoryStore.com Today! MacSpeech Dictate 1.5

Monday, April 6, 2009

Ubuntu: add start icons to Wine programs

·

I have several Windows programs I use from Ubuntu and some of these I run directly from the Windows partition without installing into the Wine system.

I created launcher links on the Desktop and top panel but unfortunately I don’t have their correct icon.

I set about extracting the icons from the exe files for this purpose.

The easiest method I have found is to use a free Windows program called IcoFX that runs with Wine.

Open the .exe in the editor and extract a 32×32 or a 48×48 to an .ico file.

Convert to a .png file with GIMP. Remember to merge layers. (Image->Merge Visible Layers before “Save as”)

The file can be copied into the shared icon area /usr/share/icons/. e.g. /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48×48/apps

Adjust the program launcher properties by opening the launcher properties window and clicking on the icon tab.

Then set the new icon from the directory it was saved to. Voila the new icon appears in the launcher.


Bookmark and Share

We hope you liked the above post, you can get more such updates, get these posts via email for free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Articles


Related Article Widget by Hoctro

About Me


嗨,我是花,居住在印度兴奋的Windows,Linux中国的外籍人士和所有高科技的东西

Hi, I am Hua, a chinese expat residing in India excited about windows, linux and all things tech

Receive updates for free

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Mobile Version

Bookmark

Bookmark and Share

Blog Archive

matchmaker.com gold membership valentine's